Lives and works in London, UK
2010 – 2012 Royal College of Art, MA Curating Contemporary Art, London, UK
2003 – 2010 Eötvös Loránd University, MA Teacher of Art History, Budapest, Hungary
2003 – 2009 Eötvös Loránd University, MA Art History, Budapest, Hungary
2003 – 2009 Eötvös Loránd University, MA Film Studies, Budapest, Hungary
2017 – 2020 Visiting Tutor, Goldsmiths College, MFA Fine Art course, London, UK
2017 – 2019 Workshop Leader, Central Saint Martins, BA Culture, Criticism and Curation, London, UK
2018 – 2019 Visiting Tutor, Acme Associate Studio Programme, London, UK
2019 Spring Visiting Lecturer, University of Hertfordshire, UK
2016 – 2018 Visiting Lecturer, Royal College of Art, MFA School of Arts and Humanities, London, UK
2017 Spring Visiting Lecturer, Vilnius Academy of Arts, MFA and PhD Fine Art, Vilnius, Lithuania
2016 – 2017 Visiting Lecturer, School of the Damned, independent study programme, UK
2020 Mar/May Residency, Agosto Foundation, Prague, Czech Republic (Upcoming)
2019 Aug/Sept Curatorial Research Residency, Step Beyond- European Cultural Foundation, tranzit.sk, Bratislava, Slovakia
2018 Sept Residency, Blitz Malta, Valletta, Malta
2017 Jun Theory of Leaves, short residency and workshop organised by Emma, Ancona, Italy
2017 Feb Professional visit, guest of ARCO Madrid, Spain
2017 Apr Curatorial Research Residency at Rupert, Vilnius, Lithuania
2008 Jan/Jul Erasmus Scholarship, Utrecht University, Gender Studies (with Rosi Braidotti), Utrecht, The Netherlands
Working as a curator for the past 10 years, I organised and commissioned over 60 exhibitions, as well as many major event series and other projects around themes including the environmental and urban commons; plant and animal studies; language and politics; and social choreography… I collaborated with institutions such as Camden Arts Centre, ICA, BFI, Serpentine Gallery, Jupiter Woods and the Horniman Museum and Gardens in London; Wysing and Focal Point in the UK; ARCO, Nogueras Blanchard, Fluent and eremuak in Spain; MAK Vienna in Austria; tranzit in Slovakia; OFF-Biennale, art quarter budapest, Trafó House of Contemporary Culture and Ludwig Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art in Hungary among many others.
- January – July 2020, Leader of Peer Forum in collaboration with the Horniman Museum and Gardens, London and Artquest.
- January – December 2020, Research Associate, CCA Derry~Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Each year five associates are selected, who have extensive access to archives and networks at the CCA, with the potential to develop longer-term projects with CCA and their wider programmes. An annual event brings the associates to CCA to share their practices through workshops/performances/lectures.
- 2015 – Current, Project Curator and Advisory Board Member, OFF-Biennale Budapest, Hungary.
- 2014 – 2019, Director and Curator at Tenderpixel Gallery, London, UK. I have been responsible for developing a new artistic programme and direction for the gallery. I delivered approximately 7 exhibitions and around 25 public events/year including performances, symposia, talks, screenings and tours as well as online commissions and other off-site projects. I reported to the Founder/CEO of Tenderpixel, and oversaw the work of the two assistant curators (split role), the interns, the free lance designer, photographer and technicians. I collaborated with the manager of the partner contemporary art bookshop, Tenderbooks, to publish books, catalogues and other printed matter.
- 2012 – 2013, Curator at Tenderpixel Gallery, London, UK.
- January – July 2011, Assistant Curator, GLA (Greater London Authority, Office of the Major of London), Fourth Plinth public art project.
- May – October 2010, Internship, Serpentine Gallery, London, UK.
Assisting with preparations for the Map Marathon, blogger and artist liaison during the event.
- August – December 2009, Internship, MAK Vienna, Austria.
- April – July 2009, Internship, Ludwig Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest, Hungary.
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS (independent curator)
- September 2020 (Upcoming), Curator of international group exhibition, invited by Re_Act Contemporary and MAH Museum, Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal.
- April – August 2020 (Upcoming), Curator, group exhibition and accompanying event series, tranzit.sk, Bratislava, Slovakia.
- December 2018 – January 2019, Curator, group exhibition, Some people believe the Sun used to be yellow with Julia Crabtree & William Evans, Elena Damiani, Rowena Harris, Adrien Missika and Ana Vaz at the public art institution Trafó House of Contemporary Arts, Budapest, Hungary. Accompanying events: guided tour by the curator and the artists, performance lecture by the curator, and screening for the first time in Hungary the portrait film Donna Haraway, Story Telling for Earthly Survival.
- September – October 2017, Curator, OFF-Biennale Budapest, HU. Forecasting a Broken Past. This group exhibition considered alternative histories and interlinked personal anecdotes with past and present political struggles. Artists includes Can Altay, Nicoline van Harskamp, Andy Holden, Tamás Kaszás, Gergely László and Katarina Sević. Art Quarter Budapest, Hungary.
- May 2017, Curator, Mushrooms on the Ruins. Winner of the International Curatorial Open. The exhibition includes works by Salvatore Arancio, Petra Feriancová, Olivier Castel and Iza Tarasewicz. Nogueras Blanchard, Madrid, Spain.
- May – June 2015, Curator, OFF-Biennale Budapest, Hungary. Collaboration Beyond Consensus – Rehearsing Collectivity was an exhibition including a research library display, seminar and talk. Participating artists were Priscila Fernandes, Adelita Husni-Bey, Hungarian alternative theatre company – Krétakör, Wendelien van Oldenborgh, Karen Mirza and Brad Butler, Rehana Zaman. In collaboration with tranzit.hu, Budapest, Hungary.
- June – July 2013, Curator, We Are Alternative Structures, The exhibition and events included Anna Clawson & Nicole Ward, Jean-Philippe Dordolo, Ian Giles and George Vasey. Focal Point and TAP, Southend-on-Sea, UK.
- March 2012, Co-curator of Ritual without Myth, Royal College of Art, MA Curating Contemporary Art Final Show, London. The exhibition and public events series featured Danai Anesiadou, Asco, Erick Beltrán, Lygia Clark, Joachim Koester, Patrizio Di Massimo, Ioana Nemes, Ocaña, Amalia Pica and Yeguas del Apocalipsis.
- December 2010 – February 2011, Co-curator of two artist retreats at Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridgeshire, UK.
SELECTED EVENTS AND WORKSHOPS (independent curator)
- April – August 2020 (Upcoming), Leading a series of online reading groups around Forest Ecologies and Rewilding, tranzit.sk, Bratislava, Slovakia.
- Summer 2020 (Upcoming), Performative Intervention at Choreographic Devices, two-day symposium, ICA, London.
- February 2020, Public Talk, Scottish Sculpture Workshop, Lumsden, Scotland.
- October 2019, Lecture, ‘Rewilding Curatorial Practice’ at ‘Naturak’ international curators’ conference, including presenters Ana Laura Aláez, Bik Van der Pol, Fernando García-Dory, Hidrogenesse, Latitudes (Max Andrews y Mariana Cánepa Luna), Yael Messer, Jon Otamendi, Sergio Prego, María Ptqk, Alfredo Puente (Fundación Cerezales Antonino y Cinia), Borbála Soós, Julia Spinola, Natalia Valencia Arango and Idoia Zabaleta (Azala) with eremuak, Bilbao, Spain.
- Autumn 2019, Leading critical art theory reading group at Trafó House of Contemporary Culture, Budapest, Hungary, around the theme of ecological practices.
- August – September 2019, Curatorial research residency with STEP Beyond and tranzit.sk, Bratislava, Slovakia.
- July 2019, Lecture Performance at ‘WE ARE THE WOODS, The Intelligence of Plants and Interspecies Communication’ organised The Institute of Anxiety and ARE, nonprofit organisations based in Prague, Czech Republic. The event took place in their 1.8 ha forest in Orlické Mountains that ARE bought for community purposes. Co-curated screening programme in the night forest including The Secret Life of Plants directed by Walon Green and contributions by artists Melanie Bonajo, Pedro Neves Marques and Apichatpong Weerasethakul.
- February – May 2019, Forest Rangers, leading a series of imaginary tours and reading groups on the ecological commons at Jupiter Woods, London.
- January 2019, Lecture, Creative Positions within Art, Ecology and Politics, University of Hertfordshire.
- May 2018, Chair of panel discussion with recent residency artists, SPACE Art + Technology, London.
- October 2017, CONGLOMERATE screening event in collaboration with Camden Arts Centre, London.
- July 2017, Lecture as part of Theory of Leaves, organised by Emma (Veronica Valentini). As part of the workshop I gave a lecture about my recent practice and Mushrooms as Enablers. Looking at plants as model for collaboration among human and non-human spheres, the four-day programme aimed to generate a climate of knowledge through cohabitation, exploration, distributed and situated learning promoted by artistic and cultural production. Offagna, Ancona, Italy.
- April 2017, Lecture on Fungal Futures at Vilnius Academy of Arts, Vilnius, Lithuania.
- April 2017, Lecture followed by thematic dinner titled A realm where cause-and-effect no longer applies, Autarkia, Vilnius, Lithuania.
- February 2017, In conversation with David Ferrando Giraut at SCAN Arte Project Space, London.
- September 2016, Lecture on Biopolitics and Urban Commons as part of Techniques to Make You Doubt, a two-day seminar, specifically conceived for researchers, cultural practitioners and students from the MA in Visual Culture MNCARS Reina Sofia. Participants included Sonia Fernández Pan, Sabel Gavaldon, Hanna Laura Kaljo, João Laia, Fran Meana, Enough Room for Space, Borbala Soos, Jochen Volz and Benjamin Weil. Curatorial platform, Fluent, Santander, Spain.
- April – May 2012, The Eternal Life of Performance Art? Lectures as part of Re: Akcio, Free University Series, Pinceszínház, Budapest, Hungary.
SELECTED PROJECTS (for Tenderpixel)
More info: tenderpixel.com
- January – February 2019, Joana Escoval, The Sun Lovers, solo exhibition.
- October – December 2018, Florian Roithmayr, Something infinitely distant and strange, solo show.
- October 2018, Tenderflix, Future Responsibilities, international film festival in collaboration with the British Film Institute, London.
- July – September 2018, Becoming Plant, group exhibition with Victoria Adam, Julia Crabtree & William Evans, Ingela Ihrman, Paloma Proudfoot and André Romão and a series of reading groups off-site in various parks.
- March – April 2018, Pakui Hardware, The Return of Sweetness, solo show.
- December 2017 – January 2018, Series of performances by Nicole Bachmann, Marcel Darienzo and Nicoline van Harskamp.
- November 2017, Tenderflix, international film festival. Screening at Gorvy Lecture Theatre, Royal College of Art, London.
- October – November 2017, A Gesture Towards Transformation, group exhibition with Aimar Arriola, Nicole Bachman, Omer Fast, Paul Maheke, Amalia Pica and Pedro G Romero.
- September 2017, Feiko Beckers, You might actually learn something, solo show.
- June – July 2017, CONGLOMERATE, Station ID. CONGLOMERATE is a collaborative Gesamtkunstwerk presented in the form of a television network. The project is realised by a core team of five Berlin-based artists and filmmakers: Sol Calero, Ethan Hayes-Chute, Derek Howard, Christopher Kline and Dafna Maimon.
- March – April 2017, David Ferrando Giraut, The Accursed Stare, solo exhibition.
- February – March 2017, Tropical Hangover, group exhibition, including Salvatore Arancio, Zuzanna Czebatul, Rowena Harris, Laure Prouvost, Suzanne Treister.
- November 2016 – January 2017, Rehana Zaman, Tell me the story Of all these things, solo show at Tenderpixel and event at INIVA, London.
- September – October 2016, Richard Healy, Lubricants & Literature, solo exhibition and publication.
- April – June 2016, Spatial Practices and the Urban Commons, exhibition and 8 weeks of talks, seminars, workshops and tours, including contributors Can Altay, Thomas Dobson, Fernando García-Dory, Sabel Gavaldon, Adelita Husni-Bey, Matthew Fuller, Platon Issaias, Tim Ivison, Just Space, Adam Kaasa, Loughborough Farm, Josie McVitty, Godofredo Pereira, public works, Emily Rosamond, Louise Shelley, Squash, Tijana Stevanović, Ben Vickers, Joanna Warsza.
- October 2015, Tenderflix, Futures, international film festival. Screening at the ICA, London.
- October 2015, Ilona Sagar, Haptic Skins of a Glass Eye, solo exhibition and daily performances.
- July 2015, The Infinite Lawn, group show, including Adriano Amaral, Vanessa Billy, Petra Feriancová, Falke Pisano, Yann Sérandour and Ian Whittlesea.
- May – June 2015, Ben Cain, Figure Finger Figure Finger Figure Figure Finger, solo exhibition.
- April 2015, Things That Tumble Twice, group show with Olivier Castel, Ian Law, Florian Roithmayr.
- March 2015, Social Choreography, screening programme with Julie Born Schwartz, Priscila Fernandes, Adelita Husni-Bey, Rosalind Nashashibi and Katarina Zdjelar.
- December 2014, Acting Truthfully Under the Circumstances, exhibition and event series with Feiko Beckers, Anna Kirchner and David Panos, Wendelien van Oldenborgh, Rehana Zaman and Jacopo Miliani.
- October 2014, Claudia Djabbari, Strategies of Chaos, solo exhibition.
- October 2014, Erika Hock, The Seamstress, Her Mistress, the Mason and the Thief, solo exhibition.
- June – July 2014, before breakfast we talked about the furthest visible point before it all disappeared, group exhibition and events, including Cathy Haynes, Fay Nicolson, Kentaro Yamada, Andrea Zucchini.
- March 2014, Société Réaliste (Ferenc Gróf and Jean-Baptiste Naudy), Mottopsy, solo exhibition.
- October – November 2013, Past performance is the best indicator of future results, group exhibition, including Fernando García-Dory, Toril Johannessen, Fiona Shaw.
- February 2013, Of Parameters, group exhibition, including Cevdet Erek, Marcell Esterházy, Dóra Maurer, Karel Miler.